Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thoughts while back in the US

While Scott & I were just back home in the US for a few days over the Thanksgiving holiday, we found ourselves commenting on various bits of life in America that we did not always readily notice before. I thought I would share such thoughts in no particular order....

- Parking Spaces: They are just HUGE in the US compared to the UK. After driving over in the UK now for a while, I felt like I could park four cars in one American parking space. In the US, there is more than enough room to open your door and get out of the car while parked in a lot. In the UK, I often find myself trying to squirm out of my car in the car park because the spaces are so narrow and I have very little room between my car and the one next to mine....
Aisles between parking spaces are much wider too in the US. They must have to be given the gigantic size of the SUVs, Minivans and various other truck-type cars that rule the road in the US...

- Shopping: Americans love to do it. Consumerism is key. Being home on Black Friday was proof that Americans love to consume goods of all kinds. Shops opened at obscene hours of the night (or morning) and due to our jet lag, we were up and awake at such hours. We ventured out in the early hours of the morning on Black Friday and many others were out trying to grab bargains at the stores at those hours too. While we did not have anything specific to shop for, we were still glad to be out in a proper mall and seeing everyone else there reinforced our thought that Americans love to buy things, especially at this time of year.

- Customer Service: It is clear some aspects of life in the UK have rubbed off on us. There is excellent customer service in the US compared to here (and I sometimes have moaned about it before on this blog), however while we were back and out shopping, we almost felt like we were being assaulted in the stores. Within our first five minutes in one store, we had four sales people come up to us and ask if we needed any assistance. We know they were just doing their job and trying to be helpful - but after the fourth sales person asked us and we responded, "No, thank you - we are just browsing," Scott promptly said to me - We need to leave, this is too much to take! It made me chuckle because I always feel I have to hunt a salesperson down in a store over here and ask them for assistance - they are never outwardly waiting to assist me over here (probably to do with the British sense of privacy or greater personal space I think). I think we have grown used to being left alone when browsing in stores now and it is sometimes kind of nice...

- Eggs: I am now used to only brown eggs over here. I was home and made breakfast one morning and felt like the eggs looked pale and sickly to me since they were white. I think I may be a brown egg convert by the time we move back.....

No comments: